- Ontario is reporting 916 new COVID-19 cases on Monday, the fewest since mid-February.
- The Middlesex-London Health Unit is prioritizing first dose appointments for people aged 12 and older.
- There are 30 patients being treated for COVID-related illnesses at local hospitals, including 11 in critical care.
What’s the latest situation for the London area?
The Middlesex-London Health Unit (MLHU) is reporting 18 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday and no additional deaths.
There were 66 recoveries posted Monday, with 260 active cases in the region. The number of active cases has fallen by more than 53 per cent since last week.
The seven-day average for daily cases is down to 30.
London Health Sciences Centre is reporting 30 patients with COVID-19 at local hospitals, including 11 in critical care.
There are fewer than five staff members who have tested positive for the virus and are isolating.
Health unit prioritizes 1st vaccination for everyone 12 and older
Following the Ford government’s announcement for accelerated second dose booking on Friday, the MLHU says they will continue to prioritize first bookings for everyone aged 12 and older. Second dose bookings for people 80 and older will begin next week.
The health unit says some regions have more supply than needed for seeking first doses of a COVID-19 vaccine, but that isn’t the case in Middlesex-London.
“Consistent with Provincial direction and in order to maximize the number of individuals who can benefit from a first dose of vaccine as soon as possible, second dose vaccination appointments for most recipients will continue to be scheduled at the longer interval,” said the MLHU in a statement.
For more information on booking a first dose, visit the health unit’s website.
COVID-19 across the region and beyond
Southwestern Public Health is reporting 26 new cases across Elgin-Oxford Monday and no deaths. There are currently 52 ongoing cases in the region.
Huron Perth Public Health posted 12 additional cases for their region, with 47 active cases.
Meanwhile, there were 916 new cases of COVID-19 across Ontario, along with 13 more deaths.
The Ford government is preparing to table a motion to replace the province’s chief medical officer of health Dr. David Williams, with Dr. Kieran Moore.